market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: toni eddleman <tonitime AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Overwintering root crops
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:21:38 -0500

I've not heard of garlic not working out in more northern climates
before.....and have shared alot of garlic and info with growers in
places much colder than our zone 6 ( Wisconsin, for one). What occured
with your garlic not working? I wonder if it was mulched? Could it have
been planted in a wet area? I am sorry if i missed any of this info on
the subject in prior posts.

Until the last two years, i grew and traded 20-some varieties of garlic
with some folk being in very cold areas. It seems a real loss to me to
not have this fall-planted crop!

Another thing we love about our alliums is that the abundance of deer
will not go for them in winter, unlike anything else left in-ground and
not covered. Right now, the greens of shallots, multiplying onions,
elephant "garlic", and garlics are untouched in deer territory, thank
goodness.

Perhaps we can assist in some way to see how it will work - if all hasn't
been tried already.
Good growing and New Year to all herein,
Toni in E KY
Click to become a designer and quit your boring job.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw1Tvgl2bp7G0GSJtu2mm99X5BEoYinVqLSRYuLca7v7pBkS4/