market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bottom line

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: <castens AT nepower.coop>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bottom line
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 21:58:36 -0500

One of the surprises, when grown closely in beds, is sweet onions.
$1.50/onion, planted 6" apart in rows 6" apart = $6/square foot, or about
$60,000/acre. That's probably a little closer than we planted them, but 6 x
12 = $3/square foot is about $30,000/acre. Ailsa Craig and Walla Walla.

And yes, beets, with bunches selling for $3, and getting 3 bunches/row foot.
If on 18" centers, that is about $6/square foot, or about $60,000/acre.

The per acre figure is for comparison purposes, I only did one 250 row of
onions and two of beets (one early, one late season) last year.

Oh, and Brussels sprouts. $5/stalk, or $4/pint picked and thoroughly cleaned
(labor intensive). By the stalk, an easy, low labor surprise. But again, I
don't sell a lot of them.

Of course, tomatoes. Can't sell many peppers or eggplants though.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com