market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raspberry varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT alltel.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raspberry varieties
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:00:47 -0400

Richard Robinson wrote:

Anyone in the north have any advice on raspberry varieties? We are near Boston, on the border between zones 5 and 6.
I'm in zone 6 KY. I grow Royalty purple raspberries. HUGE berries. Some even merge and make double-sized berries! They fruited for me the year I planted them (don't know how), and this is my 2nd summer growing them. The plants were VERY hardy for me and expanded like crazy! They put out lots of runners. Took me only 10 min. to dig up 25 babies and transplant them earlier this Spring; all took!

I just picked my last pint today, but was getting upwards of 2-5 qts every other day on just 10 plants. And mind you, I couldn't pick in the very center of the patch due to their expansion after I pruned earlier this year.

Some people consider KY to be in the south. I don't know. I used to live in NJ. Both were zone 6. KY's winters are a tad milder, but we do get ice, snow, and freezing temps.

(We also grow two fall bearers, Caroline and Polana.)

btw, how do they do for you? I have Heritage, Fall Gold, and Fall Red. I've not been impressed.

hth,
Bobbett