market-farming - [Market-farming] Raspberry varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Raspberry varieties
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:43:57 -0400

Anyone in the north have any advice on raspberry varieties? We are near
Boston, on the border between zones 5 and 6. We have had bad luck with K81-6,
a delicious summer bearer advertised as cold hardy. Not. We also have a row
of Lauren, which is hardier, but not great. Prelude does wonderfully here,
but the berries are only so-so. (We also grow two fall bearers, Caroline and
Polana.) We are looking for a winter-hardy main-crop summer bearer to replace
the K81-6. Of course, we are looking for excellent flavor, large coherent
berries, and plants that are easy to tend. What do you all grow? (and, to
whoever mentioned it, thanks for the tip on cardboard as mulch!)

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/