market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 04:51:12 -0400

The problem with Tulle is at $68 for 50yds it is a lot more expensive than agribond 15 (which is $128 for a 1000' x 83" roll of agribon 19, which is far better row cover than the too light and wimpy ag 15).

I have been using row covers for at least 13 years and use them for almost everything.

I much prefer to use it on hoops than let it float on crops as crops do better without the weight. i get abrasions and deformed leaves if i leave it on without hoops and the plants produce a bit better when not being bummed out by the row cover weight.

I use it on flowering crops such as melons and zucchini. I will leave it on after flowers appear (especially the early crops where cold is an issue) and hand pollinate the squashes, melons, cukes, etc. I use this on strawberries and pollinators always seem to get under the row covers as i have never hand pollinated a strawberry plant and we always get good sets of fruit even when they are both under row covers and in a hoop house

For all plants it goes on as soon as the seeds are planted or the transplants are in the ground. It is very important to cover the seedlings ASAP because insects will find the plants in 12 to 24 hours and if you wait you will end up covering infested plants which is far worse than no cover at all. as for direct seeding it makes germination better.

We keep the agribond 19 on non flowering plants until they are finished, with the exception of lettuce which I have found for best color and leaf texture remove the covers a week or so before harvesting (but leave them nearby if you are having storms as row cover is great for hale protection, unless it is huge hale)

I get about 2 years out of a cover. By the second season it is ripped up but still usable for a lot of things in the field. After its' field use is done I have used this stuff for all sorts of things from barn insulation (stuff it into holes) to nesting box bedding to halloween ghosts for a haunted woods.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH