market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:22:04 -0400

You can cover them after they germinate but they germinate a lot better if you put a row cover directly on the ground over the seed bed right after planting. the cover keeps moisture in the soil when it is dry and it prevents hard rain from turning the top cm of soil into a concrete like substance.

Once things come up put the row cover on hoops as most things don't like the weight of even the lightest covers.

I have another question about agribon.

Can I plant cucumber seeds and squash seeds in the ground, then when they germinate, then cover them up,. Or do I need to cover the seeds as soon as I plant them?

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH