market-farming - [Market-farming] Toolbar, Hiller, Mulch laying... (and a little bit of a follow-up to the AP-1 seeder)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Toolbar, Hiller, Mulch laying... (and a little bit of a follow-up to the AP-1 seeder)
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:10:43 -0400

I figure I would post this here as well...

I had a fairly successful attempt at using my tool bar two disk hiller set-up.

I built mounds and I built mounds and layed mulch and the used the hiller configuration, wider, to fold some soil over the edges of the mulch.

It took about a 2 dozen tries, I admit, but the hiller itself works great and cost about 180.00 all told (not including the tool bar, which I already had). I am am strongly considering using this for potatoes as well, building them up in mounds and then using was of those simple PTO powered chain diggers to remove them from the mounds.

Anyways, I have it posted over on New Farm : http://www.newfarm.org/ forums/viewtopic.php?p=10116#10116

I also have a video of the mound building on Youtube here: http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5LZU6-CVuQ

If I have time I'll let you know more about it.

Also, for those of you that were following my email about the Jang AP1 seeder, its pretty good. Now that I have several weeks of germination and good growth I must say I like the results.

It is essential that when you use it to make sure you adjust the brush inside the seed bin. If you go from say peas, to radishes, your get a seed every 1/64 of an inch...or more. My densities on a couple plots were rediculous and I spent a good couple of hours thinning down heavily.

Cheers!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio