market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:07:53 -0700

Comment on economically disadvantaged folks and farmers market produce.

It's all about the money, WIC not withstanding.

Several years ago I was helping with a small market in Washington State. An
older woman approached me with tears in her eyes and two beautiful, large
peaches in her hands from one of our vendors. They were huge, organic,
oozing with flavor, and weighed close to a pound apiece. It was obvious from
her dress and demeanor that money was an issue.

She held out the peaches and related how she had picked them out and when
the vendor told her the total owed was $8 ($4.50/lb for early season organic
is not uncommon around here) she was too embarrassed to tell him she
couldn't afford them and handed him all the money she had--$8--her grocery
budget for several days.

She asked me if that was really the price...How could just two peaches cost
$8? What kind of market were we running? I had no idea what to tell her. How
can you explain the real cost of local organic production to someone for
whom $8 represents their food budget for several days? It's impossible.
Needless to say she never returned to market and it's rare for us to see
very many folks with WIC coupons for just that reason. When a case of ramen
noodles costs the same as two peaches and your children have empty tummies
there really isn't a choice.

Talk to your legislators. The amount of WIC funding handed out is
appallingly small considering the need and the cost of good, nutritious
food. The amount of subsidies that goes into that $8 case of ramen noodles
is also appalling. For our tax dollars to be subsidizing such substandard
nutrition is downright criminal. Food industry lobbyists are the biggest
enemy the economically disadvantaged have.

Kate