market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] WIC! Wicked!
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:51:43 -0400

On Mar 24, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Sharon and Steve wrote:
A question: do you see WIC customers spending any of their own money on
produce? In other words, do they become regular market customers? Do you
feel it's worth the bother? We've noticed they don't at either market
where
we sell. We started taking WIC gladly at first.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net

The first year I got quite a few and after that it slowed to last year when
I was offered one check. And no, I dont recall seeing any of them a second
time even after doing the business, talking vegetables and tossing in
samples and recipes for anything they had never tried.

I do get repeat customers for the FMNP coupons, both throughout the year and in other years; and yes, some people do spend cash as well as coupons. This is true of both the WIC and senior citizens' coupons.

Last year I took in less than the year before, but it was still a lot more than one coupon. And before that the number had been steady or increasing each year.