market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bench heating in greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: Rachel Airmet <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bench heating in greenhouse
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:23:13 -0500

I actually hooked up radiant floor heating in our house and I bought a text book on how to do it. The maximum run of half inch, according to the text, is 300 ft. it says after that the water has lost too much heat to be effective. The water comes out of the boiler (you don't need a wood gasification, they are just more efficient, you can have any sort of a boiler, even one of those modern flash heat affairs, before the wood boiler I used one of those, that's what the commercial greenhouses do or the companies that sell heating backages do. A lot of the companies will try to sell you there own table top systems, that have their own piping and they are probably good, just more expensive. I put my pex between a half and a whole foot apart. My first couple of tables, the ones I put the seedlings on first I have more pipe on. As the seeds come up I move them to the cooler tables. I was thinking this year I would upgrade with a commercial table top, but I'm not going to. Have better uses for the money this year and what I have has worked fine.
--