market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sun Gro Organic mixes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sun Gro Organic mixes
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:21:57 -0500

Hi,

Anyone have experience with any of the Sun Gro OMRI approved mixes for
starting plants in the greenhouse? It looks like pricing will be better
on the peat based mix from Sun Gro compared to a compost mix from
Vermont Compost, I am curious as to how well they perform for vegetable
starts. If it matters, I am located in Central/Western NY.

Andy

Andy - I've used some of the Sun Gro mixes. The ones I've used have been nutrient neutral. I don't know if they've put out any with OMRI nutrient included. For disease suppression and deep dark green growth over extended periods of time, I've never had anything approach the VT Compost product, including, unfortunately, our own compost-based soil mixes. Yes, it's expensive, No, I can't afford to not use it, yes, I have no financial ties with VT compost.

-Allan Balliett
Fresh and Local CSA