market-farming - [Market-farming] Re Perfecta II Cultivator

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: david purpura <davepurpura AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re Perfecta II Cultivator
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:26:31 -0800 (PST)

I bought one of these last year and love it!  I have sandy, rock-free soil that doesn't need plowing, just disking in the spring, but I was sick of dragging around logs, chain link, boards etc trying to get a decent seedbed.  It leaves a beautiful flat seedbed, and I think it would work well right after plowing.

I got a 6' and mounted it behind the Super C, after getting a 3 point adapter kit, and it's a perfect match - the tractor pulls it right along in 3rd gear.

So, it's great for seedbed prep.  I find that cover crop (plant residue and other trash too) has to be incorporated before use - it has a tendency to grab and drag it along with the s-tines and following, spring-loaded leveling tines, ruining your nice seedbed.

And, I think it's too aggressive for stale-bedding.  For that I bought a Kovar 6' Tine Harrow.  With a little adapting I got it mounted behind a cub with fast hitch, and it's also a good match.  Tine weeding potatoes (before hilling) in third gear is a gas, and it was effective too.

dave

<bec.1a571a86.34c8ec9b AT aol.com>Anyone have any experience with the Perfecta II - Field Cultivator by
Unverferth. (or something similar)

We're exploring low tillage options for stale bed cultivation, light cover
crop/crop incorporation, and seedbed/transplant bed preparation.(post chisel
plow) The S-Tines with Rolling Harrow seem pretty interesting. Anyone have
any insights or experiences?

How about other folks means to accomplish the same goals?

Thanks,

Brian

bec.1a571a86.34c8ec9b AT aol.com>

  • [Market-farming] Re Perfecta II Cultivator, david purpura, 01/24/2008