market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 12:52:23 -0500

We started a new  market in a town of 25,000 this year. Membership was $35, seasonal stall fees $10/week or $15/daily. Went 20 weeks, so $235 for one 10.x.10 stall. There were 6 of us. Most of the membership fees went to insurance. We paid half our stall fees to the church whose yard we used. We have about $300 left to start next year. Everything was done volunteer, and as the manager I can say if it got much larger, I would need to be paid. We had great media coverage, but that took time. We put posters up, and that took time (though some of our customers also downloaded the poster and put them up for us). One of the smaller vendors didn't pay for several weeks, which I was OK with except the smallest vendor had paid ahead. I proposed offering a $10/week season or 10 or 15% daily rate, and the one who didn't pay said he would rather pay the flat rate in two installments. He did better as the season progressed and expects to do better next year.  I am going to offer the one who paid the full year a free year to make up for it (maple syrup isn't a weekly purchase).

This was modeled on the other market I go to, which has as many as  32 vendors in the height of summer. It's fee schedule is the same.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

~Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty.  Francis Moore Lappe