market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers market fees
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:03:29 -0500

On Nov 24, 2007 9:03 AM, Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 03:49:26AM -0500, HERBKDR AT aol.com wrote:
> I was just curious how much your market charges to set up.  Our market  just

I agree with Sue.  "It depends."

Judging from the size of your stall fees, I'm guessing this is your
market's situation: there is more demand for stall space than supply;
business is good; you can hope to sell more than $20K there in a
year; the market has paid management that is doing a good job of
promotion.  If all the above are true, I would judge your fees to be
appropriate.

Willie, that sounds reasonable. Our market OTOH mostly has retired or part-time producers in a small-town venue. Higher fees would drive out the current vendors, and I don't see anyone larger stepping in to replace them.

Bill