market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JaMaKaEnterprise AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:49:51 EDT

I am making wood bins out of 2' X 12" for my bait/composting worms. I have raised worms in wood beds for over 10 years. Some bins were made of exterior plywood and some with 2X12's with ext. plywood bottoms with drainage. The 2x12's stand up really nice and worm beds get a lot wetter than raised garden beds. The great part about untreated wood as it breathes and lets air through.

We have just bought a 18 acre place in SE Georgia where as soon as I can a hoop house will be put over the worms bins and in the winter plastic will be over the hoops and in the hot part of summer shade cloth will be used. These hoop houses will be used for 3 separate operations--worms, growing beds for veggies and meat chickens on the ground. This is an experiment I will be trying. The chickens will run out side most of the time and be shut up in the hoop house at night. The growing tubes and shelves will hang above the worm bins. I'm looking for any comments good or bad. Our goal is to make the farm pay for itself. My husband will also being raising meat rabbits & some goats.
Have a beautiful day. It's raining here.
MaryKay