market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: broadcaster <broadcaster AT mwt.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:48:21 -0400

We broadcast white dutch clover into corn or sorghum just after the last cultivation. The little seeds nestle into the crumbly soil surface and germinate very well there. The clover provides some nitrogen and organic matter, and prevents erosion. I think weeds are actually suppressed by the shade of the corn or sorghum, as the crop really takes off from that point. After a sweet corn harvest we bush hog the cornstalks and end up with a healthy stand of clover.

Paul Bransky

Liz and Paul's Farm
51560 Johnstown Rd.
Soldiers Grove, WI 54655