market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Borax/Boron

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Borax/Boron
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:36:19 -0500 (CDT)

Borax is 11% boron so a 5 pound box of borax contains less than 6 ounces of
actual boron. You seldom need more than 2 pounds of boron per acre per year.
I apply boron with my sprayer. I use Solubor 20% boron. I dissolve it in 50
gallons of water and spray the soil the same way you would apply a herbicide.
Don't band boron at the full rate!. It can be toxic to the plants. When they
say 2 pound to an acre its meant to be broadcasted uniformly and tilled in...
You can also foliar feed boron later after the crop is growing.

Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.