market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Living cover crop in sweet corn?
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:11:45 -0500 (CDT)

I have never been able to grow sweet corn and clover together from the start.
Corn competes too much for nutrients and moisture. I have been able to inter
seed vetch into corn after the corn was 3 ft tall. The vetch gets going right
about the time the corn is being picked so there is little competition. This
method was very common in the early 20th century before herbicides... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.