market-farming - [Market-farming] asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:29:02 -0400

You know…this is just too odd for me to handle right now.  Yesterday morning I was reading my Growing for Market and the article that Paul and Alison wrote regarding asparagus and pest and fungus etc…

Well, we have our first crop of asparagus this year, have never grown it before and we are thrilled to death to see it out there.  I, by chance, walked by it yesterday to take a look and talk sweet nothings to it and noticed some kind of bug on it.  Smart little suckers as they dance around your fingers as you try to grab them.  HATE THEM ALREADY!  Then found these tiny, tiny, tiny little black specks stuck to the ferns and the stalks.  Low and behold, I think it was what I was reading about only hours earlier.  I COULD JUST SCREAM!!  Actually I did and I heard the horse’s next door answer back!  I just got the aphids some what under control, can not grow any kind of vine plant thanks to all the friendly damn beetles that we have & now this.  Our first year with it and we have them already!  No one else around us grows any…where in the hell do they just appear from?????  How do they know it’s there if no one within many miles grows any?  Do they just fly around until they spot their goods down on the ground and then dive in????  I just don’t get it.  I could see maybe after a couple of years growing it…but the first damn year!  I am so frustrated I could spit right now!  I think I may have even done that when I saw them.

Any suggestions besides what I read in the article?  I don’t have any chickens and don’t plan on having any until next year, and even at that, I am not holding my breath.  I am about to Google it but thought I would try here also.  Maybe Gardens Alive might have something???

What I did do yesterday was pick every damn beetle that I could see of and squished until guts were on my fingers and then with my finger nails, picked off every little egg sac that I could see.  Almost need a magnifying glass to see them!

I would so appreciate help…I need some kind of organic gas cloud to hover over my fields and just kill all that is out there that is bad.  We can put people in space but no one can come up with something like that????????  LOL!