market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:19:20 -0400

On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:29:02 -0400, you wrote:

> Our first year with it and we have them already! No one else around
>us grows any.where in the hell do they just appear from????? How do they
>know it's there if no one within many miles grows any? Do they just fly
>around until they spot their goods down on the ground and then dive in????
>I just don't get it. I could see maybe after a couple of years growing
>it.but the first damn year! I am so frustrated I could spit right now! I
>think I may have even done that when I saw them.

I've wondered about this too.

We have gooseberry bushes, and some kind of bug (I can't remember its name
although I once knew it) eats their leaves. Probably we have the only
gooseberry bushes within a 20-mile radius, maybe more.

What was this bug eating before we planted the gooseberries? Or where did
they come from?

It is very annoying and baffling! You've got my sympathy.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh