market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus beetles
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:17:47 -0500

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:29:02AM -0400, courtney mcleod wrote:
> Well, we have our first crop of asparagus this year, have never grown it
> before and we are thrilled to death to see it out there. I, by chance,
> walked by it yesterday to take a look and talk sweet nothings to it and
> noticed some kind of bug on it. Smart little suckers as they dance around

Most interesting! You have my sympathy! We've had asparagus here in
central Texas for about 15 years and have had no significant insect
problem.

I wonder where the southern boundary of the Asparagus Beetle is?

Quite a few years ago we grew Christmas trees; I knew of the Nantucket
Pine Tip Moth problem, but we went about 5 years before they found us.
We have very few pine trees in our area. Christmas trees did not fit
in well with our other crops; they needed work when other crops needed
harvesting. So, when the pine tip moth, which increased the amount of
attention the trees needed, hit us, we just quit planting Christmas
trees.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 418 days 16 hours 04 minutes