market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus Beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Glen Eco Farm" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus Beetles
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 15:38:35 -0400

Our asparagus patch is nothing to brag about; as over the past 10 years we have left the weeds get out of hand and not mulched enough. I think we are getting it in a productive state. My observation of the asparagus beetle is that not only do the ladybugs eat the eggs, but there are very small flies on the ferns eating the eggs. (Could this be the Crawfordii? It looks like a fly more than a wasp.) Our asparagus beetle population seems to be decreasing.
Christine Burkholder

There is a parasitic wasp something-something-Crawfordii, but it's
not yet available commercially as far as I know.
Good luck,
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks, central Virginia, zone 7