market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rural markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rural markets
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:33:42 GMT

We started a market about 10 years ago in Sapulpa, Okla. We had all
the support we could ask for. Dept. of Ag, Chamber of Commerce, Main
Street Program etc...
We could never get vendors. And, when we had vendors, we couldn't get
customers. We printed flyers, we were on TV, we were in the
newspapers. All the advertising in the world and it didn't help. Some
vendors said it was our location. We were right on the corner of two
highways that went through the heart of downtown Sapulpa. Other
vendors thought it was the fact that every small town around us was
starting up a market. So, the vendors we had from Bristow, or Sand
Springs, as well as the customers left us to shop in their own town.
I gave it all I had for 6 years. I gave it up, as well as farming,
and went to work on a research farm for the university where I got
paid whether I had customers or not! Same work, but with a steady
paycheck!
Anyway, after 8 years of that, I'm back on my own farm again.
Different market and one that is very successful. What's the
difference? I honestly don't know.
I do know I would much rather make 900 a week as opposed to 50 a week!
I wish you all the best. Maybe you have the right mix of farmers and
towns people to make it a success.
Carla