market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Corn Mazes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SHEILA PAYNE" <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Corn Mazes
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:06:59 -0600

A few years ago, my dad visited one of the very successful corn mazes here in Colorado.  He's a wheat farmer in the Texas panhandle.  He said "I can do that".  For two years before health issues got to him, he planted a few acres, drew some stuff on a map, walked around with flags, drove the path with his lawn tractor and some killing spray when the corn was short  and created a home made maze.  He put up a small shade, sold a little bottled water and candy, I don't know what they did for rest rooms.  My mom worried a lot and I know they got some liability insurance.  They broke even the second year.

On the other hand, Anderson Farms, where he first saw the maze, had a huge Agri-tainment business, http://www.andersonfarms.com/  But due to the zoning issues someone else mentioned, they are closed.  Such a surprise.

The North American Farmer's Direct Marketing Association  has a lot of members that are in the entertainment business.  See what you can find on their website. http://www.nafdma.com/