market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rural markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rural markets
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:12:14 -0500

A farmers' market certainly could help. The trouble many growers experience with small rural markets, however, is low customer volumes and (as opposed to more affluent urban markets) unwillingness to pay decent prices. Plus there is the issue of many people in rural areas already having their own gardens. This often results in an unprofitable situation for vendors...and frustration over spending 4 hours at a market and only having $25 to $50 to show for your effort (including production, harvest, travel, set-up, market expenses, etc.). I know growers who won't bother with a market unless they can earn at least $250; for many, this figure is even higher. I hate to sound discouraging, but I would do your homework very well before moving forward. The good news is that farmers' markets can and do help sustain small towns if there is enough support and they are well-organized. I do sense that there needs to be a critical mass of community support and existing businesses in order for things to really revive. If the town's already dead, a farmers' market won't perform miracles all by itself.

-John

roxann wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with farmer's markets in very rural locations? our town is very small, pop. ~ 400-500, but we're also pretty isolated. our town square is dying, as the businesses are closing and our wonderful old buildings are lying unused. the old mercantile store shut down recently and the owner is open to working with me to establish a market there. the town is a tourist rest-stop, crossroads in the middle of nowhere and lots of bikers pass through on saturdays. there is one general store with a bathroom and necessities, and a grill, still open but she is flailing, too, and i don't know how much longer she can hold out. something like a farmer's market to bring the people to the square more often would likely help the few remaining businesses. the locals seem to enjoy coming out of the hills and woods for even the smallest things, so i am thinking this might be something that might help.
roxann, kingston, ar
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com