market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rural markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT hughes.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rural markets
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:36:37 -0400

Roxann,
I think a farmers market would be a great idea in Kingston. I know where
this little town is, and the first year may or may not be very profitable,
but I think you will have customers, and advertise into all the neighboring
towns, and even in the larger towns. Maybe the Post Office will allow a
flyer. When Rogers started their first farmers market, it was a slow thing,
but did get business, and even Bentonville years ago was slow, but money was
made. Advertise about Locally Grown products. Some people do have gardens
there, but not everyone. Many people in that area may be going to
Fayetteville to the Farmers market, and may be very happy to get products
closer to their home. Advertise in Huntsville, also, as I have a friend
there that will not be gardening for the first time this year and will need
vegetables. Advertising is very important, and doesn't have to be expensive.
I have a small farm stand and bikers do stop here and get cucumbers, green
beans, etc and eat as they ride. Maybe the person that has the grill could
use fresh vegetables and could do better business advertising that.
Good luck to you, and don't give up!
Sue