market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:22:15 -0400

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Christine & Marlin wrote:

Now I am thinking of using Brandywine instead of Blosser to cross with Eva,s
Purple Ball. Brandywines and Blossers are pretty much in the same league
when it comes to superb flavor and are about the same size, the only
difference being that Brandywines tend to be a little flatter than Blossers.
I often cannot tell them apart once I have them on the table. I would
interplant EPB with Brandywines at a ratio of about 1 to 5 in the row and
save seed from the EPB plants about mid to late season.

You might need to hand pollinate. Many varieties of tomato self pollinate and don't cross to speak of, even if planted right next to each other. I believe that a few will cross without hand pollination, especially among the potato leaved types; but don't know whether Brandywine and Eva's Purple are among the crossers or the self pollinators.