market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crossing Tomatos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crossing Tomatos
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:45:18 -0400

It should work but it will take you at least 5 years to get a stable type. I had opalka cross with pink brandywine and now get striped tomatoes that look like neither parent in shape. the plants themselves are not like either parent either looking more like a sungold cherry tom plant more than anything. I am on year 3 for stabilizing this cross and seem to have mostly striped fruit this year. Last year I had all sorts of fruits from round small red to oblong pinks to this sort of peach shaped striped fruit. I believe I counted 8 different expressions in the fruit. This year I seem to have either pink or stripped roundish fruits with a pointed end, all softball sized or larger.

The one thing I did not do right was the first year I did not plant enough of these. I believe I planted about 300 seeds and kept about 50 plants. If I were to do this again I would plant around 2000 seeds and transplant 1000 plants rouging out the plants I did not like after the fruit appears-I would not go by just the potato leaf trait, you might just destroy your best plants if that is the sole criteria. I'd wait it out until you start getting ripe fruit the first year. The second year you can be far more draconian with rouging because you should have a much better idea of what you want/what to expect.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com