market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Walk-In Cooler Help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Walk-In Cooler Help
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:42:37 -0400

I recently acquired an old, used 8x8x8 walk-in cooler for my veggie farm. The refrigeration unit is no longer in a functioning state. So, what I've
got is a big, insulated box. A farmer friend of mine suggested I use a
residential A/C unit to cool the thing. Has anyone out there tried this? If so, what has been your experience? Does it cool the temperature down
enough? Is this economical?

YOu have to have an electrician re-wire the thermostat so you can maintain the temps your need. Directions are in Lynn B's "The Flower Farmer" book and there is a USDA publication. You probably could re-arrange the wiring yourself if you had the publication. Short answer: no, I haven't done it, yes, I believe that you can and it will be great. -Allan