market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Okra

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Okra
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:17:23 -0500

> What price do you charge for okra? Last year, I charged $4/quart. A few
> people didn't like the price, but the ones that knew what it was, didn't
> mind paying it, or didn't complain.

I pack it in 1-1.2 lb poly bags and retail it at farmers markets for $3
or 2fer $5. For grocery stores, it is $1.25, 28 bags in a banana box.

We're actually selling only about 4-8 boxes a day, but are picking more
like 10-12.

> Also, if you can pickle it, that really sells great for me.

I'm working on a pickled okra deal, "hot garlic pickled okra". It
looks like I can retail that for $6 /qt; jar and processing cost is
about $2.50.
http://austinfarm.org/homegrown/okra.html

BTW, I'm afraid the cougar screamer is not making it on my peas. I'm
going to survey them soon and will give a more detailed report.

Willie