market-farming - [Market-farming] I have a plan...but will it be to late....??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <mnr200 AT charter.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming-request AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] I have a plan...but will it be to late....??
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:23:11 -0700

I have 18 acres of land coming out of a land conservation ( crp)
program---on Sept 30th.. I am in wisconsin...zone 5 I want to recllaim part
of this land ( a long strip to plant next spring.). here is my plan... I cant
do anything before Sept 30th by law... ... I want to mow about 2.... 500
foot long strips - I have access to cardboard bicycle boxes with soy
printing on them when layed flatted out they are about 10 feet x 4 feet
wide.. This will yeild me about an acre. I want to lay them on the mowed
strip... I then was thinking about covering the strip with a black plastic
and staking it down.. the no water and hopefully heat wiill kill off the
weeds... now in the spring i would have a few choices... please remember this
land has not been tilled in 15 years but was corn and other ag crops.. I
would prefer organic crops but am open to suggestion...
1. take the plastic off and hopefully the cardboard would decinagrate
somewhat.. I then could till it .
2. leave the plastic on and plant peppers, tomatoes etc thru holes I would
dig with an electrtic post hole digger.
3 leave it till the last minute ( May 30th and pull it off and till it and
plant as thats about the date for zone 5 for safe plainting
4. leave it another year.. it never witl be ready...

. any suggestions from the group...
Mark Ritter
Botanikka.com