market-farming - [Market-farming] Okra and Japanese beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ken Bezilla" <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Okra and Japanese beetles
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 01:18:12 +0000

It's my first year growing veggies here in Virginia, and my first time for dealing with Japanese beetles. They're munching some on our okra -- some light damage to the leaves, but also a bit of munching on some of the older pods (annoying, since we're growing the okra as a seed crop).

Should we worry about the Japanese beetles? Are we breeding an okra-loving strain of beetles, and should we destroy them before they destroy all okra as we know it?

(Interestingly, the beetles are also doing some light munching on our sweet potato leaves...)

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central Virginia