market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BCS walk behind tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BCS walk behind tractor
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:36:22 -0400

On Jun 30, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Nancy wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Hi everyone.  I am considering purchasing a walk behind tractor and want to get your thoughts on how it would work out for an older female.  Is this something that I could handle – I am physically fit but not a weight lifter.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>
I don't think you'll have any trouble. I am 55, female, and not as strong as friends of mine who grew up farming all of their lives; I run a Troybuilt Horse and can handle that with no problem. When I bought the Troybuilt I trialed both it and a BCS and they were similar amounts of work to run though the BCS vibrated more; but this was in the early 90's and newer ones might vibrate less, or you could get some antivibration gloves if this bothered you. Troybuilt was sold some years ago and I don't know if their quality is as good as it used to be; plus which, if you want a walking tractor in the sense of something you can use with various attachments, the BCS might be better for this. I wanted primarily a rototiller.

You might want to avoid extremely old models. Some of those I think were a real bear to use.

In case of doubt, just ask to try the thing out before you buy it. If you're looking for a new model, there should be a dealer somewhere around you. Bear in mind that it gets easier with a little practice.
</x-tad-smaller>