market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Egg question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Egg question
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:26:21 -0400

Get an elite cooler and some good blue ice packs a thermometer.

Pack the precooled cooler (put an ice pack in about an hour before you will be packing it) with eggs from the fridge. put the ice packs on top of the cartons, put the thermometer in the cooler, close the lid. In 5 to 10 minutes check the thermometer and if it is reading 42F or below the inspectors should have no problem. And an Elite cooler has some very high tech insulation that should keep the eggs at 42F for 12+ hours, even with repeated opening and closing of a cooler in hot weather.

Lucy
http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
If any of you take eggs to the Farmers' Markets, how do you keep them
cool? Rumor spread through our market that the local inspector visited
another market and told them that they can't sell eggs out of a
cooler...they need to be refrigerated. I've been told by numerous
officials that it's OK to sell out of a cooler, but the inspector is the
one with the authority.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA