market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Teaching the Art of Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JOHN A HENDRICKSON <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Teaching the Art of Farming
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 10:50:17 -0500

I've been coordinating the Wisconsin School for
Beginning Market Growers since 1998. This is a
3-day, intensive workshop held in the winter and
taught primarily by 3 experienced growers. We try
to cover everything from soils through marketing,
economics, and taxes...even quality of life issues.
We get 25-35 participants each year. It is a model
that could be easily replicated elsewhere. I'd be
happy to share more details if folks are interested.
The biggest trick is to find grower-instructors who
are experienced, knolwedgeable, WILLING to SHARE,
and good speakers. I've attended (and organized)
shorter workshops and one-day beginning grower
sessions but found them hopelessly incomplete and
rushed.

Another approach is to organize farm tours. You can
learn so much by visiting existing operations.

-John