market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cramps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cramps
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:59:22 -0400

Sounds like sciatica to me, though you generally get a low back ache as well but not always. the sciatic nerve is a bundle of nerves about as big around as a pencil that runs from just above your butt down to your toes on your left side.

I got my first bad bout last spring while preparing to go to a farmers' market. I was cleaning spring mix, picked up an empty crate and turned around to respond to something my husband asked and bam! I could not move for about 3 weeks. The intense pain that caused me to walked doubled over for 2 months (but I could still harvest low things like beets, lettuce, etc..) and eventually faded to a bad pain in my left leg before going away about 4 months later.

You might want to see a chiropractor or an acupuncturist

If you do OTC pain killers ibuprophin works quite well as does acetomeniphin. Naporsin (aleve) does not work well for this. Oh and walk as much as possible to keep the muscles from cramping up.

Lucy Goodman