market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Saving Edamame Seed Questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Saving Edamame Seed Questions
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:16:07 -0500

Thanks. The seed is in the ground. I still have time if it doesn't come up.

Marty Kraft
On Apr 16, 2006, at 5:08 PM, Alliums wrote:

Marty wrote:

<<I grew some edamame soy beans last year and saved some seed. I planted
about a week ago. It has been warm here, two days about 90 this week. I
probably should have checked the soil temperature.>>

I wouldn't have planted edamame until I could plant regular beans -- I just
assume they are more like pole beans in frost tolerance than favas as my
Seed Savers Exchange colleagues have always planted them the same time they
planted the pole beans. However, I know other folks on this list plant
edamames more than I do (the deer LOVE edamame around here! :-P)

<<1. Can I expect the same quality of beans this year as last, or should
I have bought new seed?>>

Last year's seed should be fine -- edamame seem to lose vitality quickly --
from what I've heard, 3 years old is probably too old.

<<2. Some seeds had a purple color. Is this okay?>>

Depends on the variety. I've found with beans that you want the nicest
looking ones as possible for the best crop -- no wrinkling, notches or
discoloration (which is usually brownish and just looks "off"). If the bean
looks whole and the purple looks "even," I'd risk it.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of