market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] starting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: david purpura <davepurpura AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] starting tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:39:46 -0800 (PST)

Hi Allen, and all.  I'm in zone 6b 1/2, in sunny SE Mass, where it's nearly freezing today  :-)

I've always started tomatoes the first week of April, and traditional wisdom is that they can be set out after the full moon in May.  Well, hrmph to that!  The past two years we have had a week of rain in early June with temps hitting 40 F at night, and barely leaving the 40s during the day.  There was standing water in the tomato holes, and I swear it sets them back weeks.  This year they're staying in the hoophouse, growing on in 8" pots, until at least the second week in June...

dave

Message: 11