market-farming - [Market-farming] Starting Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <Allan AT freshandlocalcsa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Starting Tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:25:08 -0500

I'm here in zone 7 in the Mid-Atlantic.

Our 'official' date for starting tomato plants was last Saturday, and, boy, did I start them!

Growing on in the greenhouse is going to be really crazy this year, though, as we've consistently been getting hotter days while still getting 20 degree nights. My house is unheated, but unventilated as well, without roll up sides, so, right now, we are ranging from 25 degrees at night to 110 or so during the day time. 110 is common in the summer but not quite so common for this time of year (more sun this year, I guess)

Anyway, one of my neighbors told me a few years back that the state recommendations for startng tomatoes was off by a month and that plants were better in the field if started a month later. (Our frost free date, 'legally', is April 15. In practice, it's May 15) She starts April 11 or so. She does have some of the finest plants I've ever seen. At the same time, her stuff is so good that a lot of it just might be her, so I'm hesitant to drop a 30 day head start for the tomatoes.

Starting tomatoes a month later would stabalize the hoophouse temps somewhat, though.

What do you think?

BTW - They tell me that plants respond to temperature on a 24hr cycle, so the day's high is meaningless. I'd have to vouch for this because I don't see heat induced legginess in the house, although I would if I left the same plants on a heat mat 24hrs a day in the house.

Allan