market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Prices for Okra and herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: quiltingsue AT earthlink.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Prices for Okra and herbs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:16:03 -0600

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:36:35AM -0500, Sue Wells wrote:

> Last season I charged $4.00/quart for okra, is this too cheap or about
> normal? I have nothing to compare it to. Living in Vermont, many don't know
> what okra is, but there are some that do and love it, and they were totally
> surprised to see that I had it at the Farmers Markets. It also had to do
> with the location of the market, if it sold.

Your yankee orka is probably more dear than our Southern okra. We
wholesale it in 1lb poly bags for $1.25; those customers then retail it
for $1.99 to $2.99. We start selling in farmers markets for $3 and
then go to $2 as supply improves.

> what price. How do others bunch up rosemary, oregano, chives and thyme? I

For us, a "bunch" is whatever the picker can conveniently hold in his
hand. For our (non-organic) stuff, we generally get $1/bunch for just
about anything. 8-10 carrots, 8-10 chard stems, 3-4 beets, 3-4 bulbing
green onions, 8-10 slender green onions. Smaller stuff like cilantro
and arugula makes smaller bunches. 40 bunches of arugula will fit in a
banana box while only about 20 carrot, mustard, chard fill a banana
box. Dill, I've been weighing out in .09lb 1pt zip lock bags. $1 for
each of the above.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 1 day 18 hours 58 minutes