market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Prices for Okra and herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, quiltingsue AT earthlink.net
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Prices for Okra and herbs
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:26:45 -0600

Yankee okra???  Too funny...as if you southerners had a monopoly on good eats.  I sold okra for 3.00$ a pint with a recipe booklet called "Okra, it's silky not slimey!"  (Many of my customers had a developed a fear of okra sliminess because they never had it cooked well.)

Herbs here in Northern Illinois generally sell for about a dollar an ounce at the market.  An edition of Martha Stewart's "Living" magazine in 2003,I think-pushed the idea of using herb flowers in salads which helped to sell basil, thyme and oregano after they began to flower.  (I always try to start a second crop of basil after June 23rd which will last longer for cutting since basil flowers according to long daylight hours. )

Shawnee, zone 5, lord willin and the creek don't rise