market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mr Lucky" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:49:40 -0800

Almost all of them in Northern California are non-profits. Marin, CUESA in
San Francisco, Common Greens in Napa Valley, etc.

I think in these situations the goal is community education and encouraging
small farmers, not turning a profit for the market but for the growers. The
staff are paid but profits go back into the corporation or are spent on
education and promotion.

I realize this isn't for every area, but on the whole, the farmers markets
are very successful here and people are making a living.

Steve

Rancho Gordo
New World Specialty Food
www.ranchogordo.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie McKemie" <mf AT austinfarm.org>

I'm unaware of any farmers market associations that have achieved
non-profit status with the IRS. It really doesn't make sense to have
non-profit market associations. After all, the motive IS profit for
members. It's just like other marketing COOPs, net income is kept near
zero and they are operated to benefit their members. AFAIK,
associations generally do not file with the IRS. I believe a
non-profit has significant filing obligations.