market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:48:46 -0600

I have directed an environmental education not for profit since 1987. When we applied we had to call our US Congress person to get things moving. Soon after that we received our 501-c-3 status. If your not for profit does not have revenue of over $25000 there is no federal report to file. We do not have a state report to file here in Missouri. We had to get a state charter and have to register annually with a one page, simple form and pay $15 as an annual fee. I believe that your market members could donate money to the not for profit and deduct their donations. Check with a lawyer. Make your not for profit about education about food, nutrition, the environment, building community, cooking, canning, solar cooking, grinding flower, weaving, and... . Hold events at market day. Bring people in to learn and while they are there learning or being entertained they may also buy food, etc. Make your not for profit a service to the community. Your not for profit could rent the space for their programs and invite vendors to make their programs more interesting.

Marty Kraft