market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:46:54 -0600

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:15:35AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> We seem to be having a little trouble with the IRS in getting our nonprofit
> status. It seems they don't like the farmers making money selling produce.
> How do other Farmers' Markets justify their nonprofit status?

I'm unaware of any farmers market associations that have achieved
non-profit status with the IRS. It really doesn't make sense to have
non-profit market associations. After all, the motive IS profit for
members. It's just like other marketing COOPs, net income is kept near
zero and they are operated to benefit their members. AFAIK,
associations generally do not file with the IRS. I believe a
non-profit has significant filing obligations.

One local association has recently incorporated to limit liability. Of
it's officers, I think. I don't know if any corporate income filing is
involved; probably not.

Please correct me if the situation is different in other areas.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 49 days 22 hours 34 minutes