market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mike Emers" <rosie-ck AT mosquitonet.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:00:37 -0900

We've been through this with our farmers' market especially when we were
looking for funding to expand and move our building. Although the State
of Alaska recognizes our market as a state non-profit the federal
government does not nor will they. Farmer's markets are essentially a
for profit entity and don't come under the 501-c-3 definitions of
charitable, educational, or religious. The thing we were looking into
was to set up a separate entity "friends of the market" that would be an
educational organization that would be able to accept tax-free
donations, own the market building and lease it to the for-profit
market. This involved setting up another organization with a separate
board of directors.

It's an involved process but one which in the long run would be great to
do. Our board of directors thought it was too much trouble after
meetings with our lawyer and didn't go that route - the main reason
being that all we really wanted to do was sell our stuff and not be
bothered with an extra layer of organization and responsibilities. I
think it could work if you had members of the community willing to put
time in to a vision beyond just selling at the market - i.e. more
community outreach and education.

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Ester, Alaska