market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alliums" <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market NonProfit Statis
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:02:59 -0500

Hi, Folks!

Mark wrote:

<<More details? Yes, please do.>>

I just did the 501c3 process for the dog park group I now run (see sig
below). First off, you have to figure out if it's best to be a 501c3 or
some other form. The best place to start for learning the legal ins and out
is this company:

http://www.nolo.com/

This is the same folks that do Quickbooks. Read through their free articles
to figure out whether you want to be a non-profit (and there are several
types -- 501c3 is charitable, but there are others for business associations
that might be more relevant), a coop, etc.

Then, buy the book that leads you through the process and do whatever it
says. Each state has its own rules, so once you know what you are planning
to do (501c3, coop, whatever) talk to your state rep as they can get you the
forms, submit your paperwork for you (it goes faster that way) and help you
over the bumps.

I used the Nolo book "How to Form a Non-Profit Corporation" and managed to
get 501c3 status in 4 weeks -- the minimum time. I've used other Nolo books
to figure out things for my husband's IT consulting company. They are worth
the price because they are written clearly so that even if you have to see a
lawyer later, you know what the heck you're talking about.

Dorene Pasekoff, President
Friends of Reservoir Dogs! Park
Phoenixville, PA