market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:45:34 -0500

When we started a farmers' market we had a meeting open to all interested people. Put announcements in everything that would take a free PSA a couple of weeks before hand

One place to find farmers is other farmers markets and also post fliers at the extension office in your county and contact FFA programs to see if there are any teenagers thinking of doing a market garden. And both extension and FFA may be of help in forming the market.

It is a problem not having enough farmers and I think it is worse in farming areas since very few farmers do market growing. You are more likely to find candidates in a more suburban area that has "hobby farms" or backyard gardens. And you may have to train people how to grow and sell in order to get some more growers.

But you should endeavor to get a decent head count of vendors (and you don't need all farmers, get some bakers as well, people like bakers at market) as high as you ca before advertising to potential customers. if you can start with 7 to 10 people I think you will have a good beginning/rebeginning

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt farm
Eaton, OH