market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:46:22 -0500

From: "Pat Meadows" <pat AT meadows.pair.com>

> Our conditions are those of a very rural and quite isolated
> area which is nevertheless not a farming area, with the
> exception of a bunch of dying dairy farms.

Agriculture is still our main industry in Tioga County, with 64% of the
land wooded and 33% in farms, 3% 'urbanized' (if you can call a town of
3,000 that). Dairy farming is 90% of the agricultural income. Anything
other than forests, pasture and grain crops isn't even enough to register
on the charts.

Apparently this area used to be a major producer of tobacco and celery.
There are certain crops that grow
especially well here, like leeks, onion, garlic, potatoes, probably
cabbage if I
could keep the %(&^ bugs out. Corn is everywhere (mostly field corn).
Grains grow well here. Beans do well, summer and winter squash does
exceptionally well. I have to baby the tomatoes and melons, and I grow the
peppers and cucumbers in the greenhouse. But it's certainly doable. If we
could only convince more people...

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA