market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:30:17 -0500

A few friends here and I have formed a 'Local Foods
Alliance' with the objective of encouraging and promoting
local foods: growing, marketing (and eating!) :) Two
others from our group are also on this mailing list.

One of our first aims is to revive an almost-dead Farmers
Market in town. It's been staggering along on the edge of
extinction for a while: partly, I believe, because it's
only open during a time when most people are at work. But
also partly because this is NOT a farming area (for various
reasons) and there aren't many local produce growers. In
fact, there are practically none.

OK: here's the question:

We'd like to advertise the market, and expand its hours of
operation. This would encourage people to come and shop
there. I think this would be fairly straightforward and
easy: people seem to be hungry for good local produce.
Understandably.

But then, those would-be customers are going to find that
there's almost nothing for sale. So we also need to
encourage growers, who are then going to ask 'But how do we
sell it?'

In other words, which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Has anyone dealt with this problem? Do you have any advice
for us?

Even if you haven't dealt with this problem, if you have an
opinion on the subject, we would like to hear it.

Thanks very much!

Pat
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism,
since it is the merger of state and corporate power."