market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:47:55 -0500

Hope this helps. I'm curious -- what kind are you planting? I'm going to try Katahdin and German Butterball this year (from Ronnigers) and also trying some bush sweet potatoes (from Shumways nursery).

Paul Wiedeger made some early spud recommendations on the list earlier ( Right now we're using Purple Viking, Colorado Rose (this has got to be my all time favorite!!!! exceptional color and taste out-of-this world!!), and Carola.) That's what I'm going with for the early season (hoop house) plantings. Depending how we progress with our certification plans, I'll probably be using hardware store potatoes again this season. that means Yukon Gold, Potomac, and Kennebec.

I'm very curious about your BUSH sweet potatoes! I guess I don't read enough catalogs!

Ain't Nature grand?
-Allan